Then came the back yard. After mowing approximately half the back, I was surprised by a little bunny rabbit hopping in front of my path. See how cute he is?

This is an actual picture of him in my kitchen. Chrystina is holding him. He sat there so quietly, didn’t even budge with the flash.
Any who, back to the story.....I immediately stopped mowing and ran to the bunny’s rescue. He ended up over near my flowerbed and I went over to talk with him. I tried and tried to coax him away, but to no avail. After much "baby talk", I finally decided that he was not going to move and told him to "stay". I would simply mow the yard and keep a good eye on him. He must be a good listener, because he didn’t move an inch!
I went back to the mower and started it up again. Looking down I noticed a wad of white fur — not a good sign!! I also saw some movement. I knew instantly that something was wrong. I felt sick. I turned off the mower and ran to the aide of my trusty neighbor Jason -- it’s a good thing he lives next door! He opened the door, concerned about the look of panic on my face. I proceeded to tell him that I believe I mowed over a rabbit -- not a big rabbit, but a "baby" rabbit mind you — it does make a difference. Jason laughed it off and came over to take a look. He said not to worry, there’s tons of them, they multiple like, well, "rabbits." (Geez, it appears somebody might be just a bit insensitive :-} )
When we arrived back to survey the damage, Jason did indeed confirm my worst fears. The good news, I only got one. There were still two left. Jason captured both and let them loose --
IN MY OTHER NEIGHBOR’S YARD -- imagine that!! Jason cleaned up my mess while I finished mowing nervously. I went inside to call Joy (because Mom was already at the reunion) and cried — I had killed a baby rabbit and had separated a family. I was devastated!
The next day Joy, Phil and Nathan arrived. They tried to find the rabbits while I was at work, but only found the hole that their mother had dug for them. I came home and looked again — nothing. They must be gone.
Jeremy & Chrystina arrived later on that night and we decided to let the boys twirl sparkers in my back yard. Being that my neighbor Jason is a fireman, and the fact that we’re in a drought, we all thought it would be prudent to get the hose ready. So........we all went into the backyard and I proceeded, barefoot, to get the hose ready just in case we set my house on fire. As I moved the hose, and mind you it’s dark out, one of the rabbits jumped across my path. Of course, I jumped and screamed -- and so did all the kids, especially Baby Jerry. Then a gecko ran across my foot -- I jumped and screamed again....... and so did all the kids.
Jeremy spent the majority of the night searching for the rabbits with an itty-bitty, baby flashlight and finally found them. He picked the first one up and almost dropped him -- have you ever heard a rabbit scream??? It’s a really freaky sound!!
We only saw them a couple more times in the back yard and once in my garage, but now they are gone. Thank goodness, after three weeks of worrying and nervousness, I finally got back up on the horse and mowed again!!











1 comment:
Oh, he's sooo cute!!! Liked your story. I'm glad they finally moved , so you don't have to worry anymore. Later JOY
Post a Comment