
As we crept along (both lanes of traffic and the shoulder were jammed packed of cars), I called Sandy (at Kenny's house) to check out the Weather Channel. She said there was one small storm near Bryan and it should be over quickly. Well, in all honesty, it was over quickly, but that didn't make me feel any better. When I was on the phone with Sandy, the wind was blowing the rain from right to left on the road AND THEN all of a sudden it was going from left to rain. SCARED THE YOU-KNOW-WHAT out of me!!! I said to Sandy: Don't tornadoes do that????
I started seeing trees down, signs down, leaves all over the road. Then the hail came, along with who knows what. I'm was praying my windows weren't going to break. I didn't think the hail would break them, but I was concerned about the tree limbs that were flying all over the place.
As soon as I reached the other side of Madisonville (it's only a town of about 2 to 3 exits), I saw power lines down on the frontage road of southbound I-45 (luckily I was going north). Then I noticed that three utility poles had been snapped in two, an 18-wheeler was on it's side, a truck carrying a horse trailer was also on its side with a small car plowed into it (not bad). One lone horse was standing in the road (he looked okay).
So that was my experience. I'm very grateful that nothing worse happened to me and I pray that all the people there are okay. I felt so vunerable. There's really not much you can do when you're out in the open like that. One thing I did learn from the 18-wheeler though: When winds are heavy, don't let an a big vehicle get between you and the wind if you don't want to be squashed!
Here's a video and article from a nearby TV station that shows some of the damage.
Storm Rips Roof in Madisonville
Shared via AddThis

***Then when I got home: The rain started right as I pulled into the garage. Lost power three times for long moments at a time. Had to use candles. It was hot from my AC not being on all weekend. I just laid there for about an hour until everything got back to normal.
We're supposed to have storms all this week. While I LOVE the rain (and the storms, too), I truly hope they're not bad storms. Now that I can't utilize my hand-held TV because of the STUPID DTV thing, I won't know if a bad storm is on top of me if my DirecTV goes out ~ which always does during a bad rain storm!!!! Figures!!!!
And no, these pictures aren't from my storm ~ not even close ~ but they're cool, huh?











4 comments:
Oooh scary! I love a good storm, but it's never fun when you're driving through it and don't know what is hiding behind dark clouds.
Very scary. Peeing in my pants kinda scary! Glad your stronger than I! We heard you hit some rough weather and are grateful to the Lord you are all right. What an experience, may it be a one of a kind!
Wow, what a scary experience! I'm glad you made it through alright. I just wish the rain would work it's way towards us a little. We need it so bad!
scary scary!
those pictures make me want to pee myself with fright.
Post a Comment