Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!!!!


Today is my beloved Mother's 80th birthday. I know everyone says they have the best Mom in the world, but if you know my mother, you know that she is not only that but also one of the greatest women to ever walk the earth!!!

I want to share one "rather embarassing story about me" but one that will demonstrate this great lady's love for her children.

As you all know, my mother is a nurse so she's trained in "all" the duties that go with being a nurse. When I was younger, I wet the bed ~ yes, I know, it's hard to believe. Anyway, every SINGLE night, my mother would come into my room to see if I had wet. If I had, she would change my wet sheets (in the middle of the night) so that I wouldn't have to sleep in my wetness. She was so skilled at changing sheets that sometimes I wouldn't even wake up. I'd be so proud of myself in the morning ~ "Hey, Mom, I didn't wet!!!!" "Ummmm, yes, you did, I changed your sheets while you were sleeping...." "Oh...."

Now, I know this isn't some huge story, but to me it's truly a testament of a loving, selfless mother who constantly is concerned about her children's welfare (even today).

As my mother gets older, the one thing that bothers her the most is the fact that she can't do all the things she used to do ~ which is, physically caring for others. It really bothers her that her physical ailments (mainly the tremendous pain in her back that doesn't even allow her to stand for long or walk very far) slow her down and she is unable to serve. Trust me, she's done enough in her life to deserve a break, but she doesn't see it that way and she doesn't want a break. I pray that she will have some (if not all) of her pain alleviated so that she can do the things she so desperately wants to do. This is not a selfish prayer because my Mother doesn't have a selfish bone in her body. She lives to serve!!!

I LOVE YOU MOTHER!!!! You are my example and my rock!


**When I get home tonight, I'll post more pictures of Mom!!!**

5 comments:

hoLLy said...

what a beautiful tribute to your mom(and my grandma!) i agree with every word-she is one of the most amazing, selfless, hard-working, patient, gentle, loving people on the face of this earth!

hoLLy said...

happy bday grandma!

The Gordons said...

What a lovely post Cindy! Happy Birthday Bobbie! Did I spell that right?

Cindy said...

Yes, you spelled it correctly. Thanks :-)

Tara D. said...

Happy Birthday to such a wonderful mother and grandmother! I love you, Grandma!!!